The Project in Cansanção
Cansanção is a municipality in the state of Bahia. Its population in 2004 was of 32,483 inhabitants.
Residents living in adjacent Cansanção used to live from manual labor, cultivating cassava, beans and corn, taking care of small herds of cattle and other types of farming. Thanks to the dynamism of its residents, the area had ample progress and in 1920 it was a village with 25 houses and a chapel built by the master builder Quinto, in the same year.
In 1933 the village was elevated to the status of town, belonging to the municipality of Monte Santo. At that time, throughout the 30s, the region was constantly startled by the group of "bandits" of "Lampião."
In 1938, came to town, João Andrade, from the nearby "Periperi Farm", setting a business up, trading local product, which contributed decisively to the development of Cansanção. In 1940, according to the results of the Census, the District of Cansanção had a population of 8162 inhabitants.
In the 40s, the region of Cansanção suffered the consequences of a prolonged drought. The merchant, João Andrade, feeling the anguish of the people, sought state officials, obtaining the opening of several wells and the construction of several wateries. In 1950, the District of Cansanção had 11,048 inhabitants, of which 1285 in the Urban Zone.
The dream of the residents was the political emancipation, which came in 1954, with municipal elections in the same year, João Andrade, the benefactor, being chosen as the first Mayor of the City.
Politicians from Monte Santo, led by Laurentino Tolentino da Silva managed to void the act of emancipation of Cansanção by State Law 1.018 of 12 August 1958, published in the Official Gazette of 14.08.1958. Mr. John Andrade, nevertheless, maintained its leadership, winning his first election as mayor administer the city over the period 1959/1962.